Tomato Sauce with capers and anchovies
When a day drags on with endless challenges my soul cries out for comfort food. For me, this recipe is as comforting as it gets. Savory, salt and fulfilling this is a sauce that satisfies.
- 1 2oz tin of anchovies in oil
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 8-12 peeled, chopped roma tomatoes or 1 28oz can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained, cut up
- 1/2 tbsp Olio do Panne
- 1/3 cup sliced kalamata olives (optional)
In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook anchovies, onion, garlic and bell peppers in the anchovie oil for 4 to 5 minutes. Stir frequently, until crisp-tender. Add tomatoes, olives and Olio do Panne. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in olives. Serve over baked chicken or fish, or cooked pasta as desired.
More ideas if you love tomatoes;
Scrambled eggs with tomatoes
Pasta with Corn and Tomatoes
Tomato, Artichoke and Olive Tapenade
Tomato & Turkey Stew with kale and white beans
Photo Credit: Julie Cecchini
You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.