This past August there was a segment on NPR about Presidential foods and what they say about the people in our highest office. Remember Hilary Clinton saying "I could have stayed home and baked cookies all day"? Christopher Kimball concluded by sharing some recipes from First Lady's. The one that intrigued me most was Michelle Obama's Mac & Cheese.
The recipe surprisingly makes the most of fall's bounty in the White House garden while cutting fat in half. Her lower calorie take on pure comfort is a WINNER. I will never look at cauliflower the same way again.
Here is our take on the first family's favorite.
- 1 pound Penne Rigate pasta, cooked al dente
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup Soy Cream or milk
- 1 pound shredded machengo (or a mixture of your favorite melting cheeses)
- 1/4 cup grated Reggiano cheese
- 1 tbsp Tomato & Parsley Vinaigrette
Preheat the oven to 350º. Microwave cauliflower until soft, about 6 minutes. Either mash or puree the cauliflower. Add pasta, milk, both cheeses, and Tomato & Parsley Vinaigrette and combine. Bake in a prepared medium size casserole dish for 25 minutes or until the top is crispy and the sauce is bubbling.
Other Recipes You May enjoy:
- Baked Ham and Cheese Omelet Roll
- Mostaccioli, a refreshing twist on Pasta Salad
- French Fridays: A vegan twist on Lyonnaise garlic and herb cheese
- Broccoli and Tortellini Salad
Photo Credit: Julie T Cecchini