I love Sunday dinner. Sometimes it is an event I toil over and the meal becomes a complicated affair. Other times it is sensational in it's simplicity.
That is what's on the menu for tonight. Stew, that I started last night, with fresh, crusty, homemade bread to sop up the sauce. A perfect ending to a long day hiking through the snow under a crystal blue sky...
- 1 cup Basic Bean Soup Mix
- 1 1/2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 large carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Aussie Outback Rub
- 1 Tbsp Colman's Mustard Powder
- 1 tbsp Rosemary Hot Pepper & Garlic Vinegar
In a crock pot, soak beans and spices in 2 cups of water, overnight. In the morning add stew meat, broth, wine, tomatoes, carrots, celery, potatoes, garlic and onions. Add Aussie Outback Rub, salt, dry mustard and vinegar. Cover and cook on low 10 to 12 hours.
More recipes for Sunday Suppers:
Photo Credit: Justin Hansen