Simple Grilled Vegetable Kabobs, a perfect side for steak
I never thought it would be living in China that would make me a big fan of the kabob. But there I was, in the oppressive heat of an Eastern China summer. With no outdoor space of my own to cook in, I hit the streets. BBQ's of all shapes and sizes pop up out of every nook and cranny. Whole fish, legs of lamb, sides of beef, and pork shoulders can be found on the more elaborate. A whole range of types, shapes and sizes of tofu can be found on others. Baby birds and whole skinned frogs are also not hard to find. Mystery meat is prevalent on many.
By far, they most interesting to me are the vegetables. Whole baby aubergines (eggplants), scallions, mushrooms, lettuce, potatoes... A mouth watering array of options. Sometimes the kabobs are mixed, some times it is a row of one thing. Any combination I have found has been delicious and worthy of enjoying again and again.
For my first meal home, the requested menu is a juicy grilled All American rib eye, with a side of vegetable kabobs. Did you get that significant other?
Any combination of the following
- Scallions or pearl onions, peeled and left whole (you can also do big chunks of or red, which and yellow onion)
- Any color cherry or grape tomatoes, washed and whole (you can also do big chunks of beef steak tomatoes)
- Whole baby portabello or button mushrooms, cleaned (you can also do big chunks large mushrooms like portabello)
- red, yellow or green peppers, cut in big chunks
- asparagus spears, whole or in big slices
- green beans, whole or in big slices
- par boiled waxy new potatoes, whole, haved or in big chunks
- cucumber, zucchini or summer squash, in big slices
- eggplant, peeled or not, in big chunks or whole if small
Try one of these sauces for basting:
Coat grill rack with cooking spray; place on grill over medium coals. Place kabobs on rack, and cook 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, turning and basting frequently.
You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.