- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12-16 chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 yellow onion, peeled
- 1 tbsp Lemon Ginger Curry
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 bunch fresh Italian parsley, stems discarded
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stems discarded
- 3 small or 2 large Preserved Lemons , seeded and diced
- ½ cup juice from preserved lemons or fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup couscous, steamed
Heat the olive oil in a large deep pan set over medium heat. Add as many chicken thighs as the pan will hold in a single layer; brown them on both sides. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a plate. Continue until all the chicken is cooked.
Meanwhile, using the large blade of a box grater, grate the onion into a bowl. Put the grated onion into a strainer; press off and discard any juice. Saute the grated onion in the pan drippings, stirring frequently, until it loses its raw color, about 5 to 7 minutes. Season lightly with salt.
Return chicken to pan with the onions, pour Lemon Ginger Curry, mixed with hot water, over it. Add parsley, cilantro and preserved lemons. Add enough water to cover the chicken, bring to a boil over high heat, and when the water boils, reduce the heat and cover the pan. Simmer the chicken for 20 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a Tagine or baking dish that will hold the thighs in a single layer.
Add the lemon juice to the sauce, increase the heat under it to high and simmer until it is reduced to about 2½ cups. Pour the sauce over the chicken and cover. The dish can be refrigerated for up to a day.
To finish, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. If you prepared the chicken in advance, remove it from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking. Add peas and bake for 30 minutes, until the chicken is heated through and the sauce is hot and bubbly.
To serve, put the steamed couscous in the center of a large platter and arrange the chicken thighs around it. Spoon all of the sauce over the chicken and couscous. Serve immediately, with fresh Kesra on the side.
More Chicken Picks:
- Honey Glazed Chicken Wings
- Garlic Maple Chicken
- Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Curried Chicken with Mangoes and Greens
Photo Credit: The Daily Mail