Whether the sky is a brilliant blue or full of storm clouds, the chill of late autumn/early winter days calls for comfort. Foods that nourish, warm and soothe the soul. Casseroles, Soups and Stews fit this bill to perfection.
Chili too is a one pot meal that can be cooked ahead and ready to greet you when you get home. Our pumpkin chili does all of the above as well as being a harvest of fall's best foods.
- 2 large green onions, sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 3 cups grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 4 cups chopped pumpkin
- 2 cups small red beans or for a spicier chilli try 1 Bag or our Salsa Bean Soup Mix
- 1 tbsp Bayou Blackening Balm (if you want a bit more heat)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 cups leftover turkey meat, pulled into large pieces (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Soften beans or soup mix in 4 cups of water overnight in a crock pot. Add onion, tomatoes, Bayou Blackening Balm and bell pepper; cook on high until soft and golden, about 1 hour. Add the softened beans, liquid and simmer on medium for 8 hours. Reduce heat to low and add turkey, salt and pepper. Simmer until heated through, about 15 minutes. Serve with tortilla or corn chips if you like.
More savory ideas for pumpkin:
Photo Credit: Julie Cecchini