As I bike through Granville in the morning I am over joyed by the site of trees prolific with fruit. Through a mist that promises a beautiful day, I spy dots of red through the green leaves and my mind swirls with how I am going to enjoy the local bounty this week.
By the time I got to work on Friday my plan was to rework our recipe for Caramel Apple Pie into a bar treat. Going from formal to casual this desert can come to work where Justin will be eager to critique the evolution.
- 1 portion of gluten free pasta frolla or a rolled out pre baked crust of your choice
- 6 medium cooking apples, peeled and sliced thin (Cortland & McIntosh are terrific)
- 2 tsp Russian Mulling Spice
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 cup Earth Balance (soy butter)
- sweetened whipped cream or ice cream (optional)
Heat oven to 350ºF. Toss apples with brown sugar and Russian Mulling Spice. Blend in chunks of butter. Roll out crust onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Lay apple mixture onto dough. Fold edges over the sides of apple chunks. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or the crust is golden brown to your liking. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream (if desired).
More Harvest Treats:
Check out our recipe for pie at www.examiner.com
Photo Credit: Julie T Cecchini