Vinegar has been used in medicine since ancient times. It's ability to kill or retard the growth of micro organisms, make it an ideal antibiotic for many uses. Throughout the world, journals of folk medicine note it as a cure for just about anything. While many dispute whether those beliefs are based on any scientific truth; it is certain that using vinegar in a diet helps to promote a healthier life style.
Apple Cider Vinegar is a fermented apple product, good for use in cooking, ideal with regard to health. Many old wives tales noted cider vinegar for the following uses:
Apple cider vinegar and honey have been touted as a cure all for, thirst, apathy, obesity, hay fever, asthma, rashes, food poisoning, sore throats, bad eye sight, dandruff, brittle nails, bad breath and as an arthritis tonic and treatment. Mix 2 spoonfuls of cider vinegar with 1 spoonful of honey, in a glass of water. Enjoy this mixture several times a day.
- Apply ice cold cider vinegar to skin burn or sunburn, it will ease the skin and help to prevent blistering.
- By wiping jars and cans of food with cider vinegar you will help to prevent mold producing bacteria.
- To clear up respiratory congestion, inhale a vapor mist from a steaming pot containing water and several spoonfuls of cider vinegar.
- To use vinegar as a liniment, mix 1 cup of cider vinegar with 1 egg and 1 cup of turpentine. Apply cider vinegar directly to chapped skin for quick results and does double duty by soothing tired muscles.
- Add flavor to soups without adding sodium. Try adding it in a veggie soup, like this one.
- Gift a boost to baked goods. Vinegar does not impart flavor but it does add to rising and benefits those properties in baking soda, powder and eggs.
- Add a drop to water for soothing and upset stomach. Natural antibacterial and antiviral properties found in apple cider vinegar are good for your gut.
- The potassium and enzyme properties of Apple Cider Vinegar also helps with sinuses, detoxifying lymph nodes and boosting energy. Use it in a steam bath or add to a hot cup of tea (as you would with lemon).
What you've shared:
Add a tsp. of cider vinegar to a mug of hot water, and a spoonful of honey(Manuka is best) Great for a sore throat! Brenda Towers
Apple Cider Vinegar is also great for heartburn! It is great for so many things, truly a must have in any kitchen and medicine cabinet! Great post :D Melissa Childers
Have known about Apple Cider Vinegar and honey for many years. Doctor D.C. Jarvis wrote about it back in the 1950's and I still have a couple of his books. Took it for awhile but then stopped. Maybe I'll rethink that and start again in my old age. It's supposed to help many health problems. Patricia N.
I just dumped a bottle of cheap red wine into a bowl, added a little vinegar mother and I'm on my way to home-made vinegar! I also ferment my own vegetables - valuable resource is the book "Wild Fermentation" by Sandor Katz - http://www.wildfermentation.com/ - before refrigeration, people knew how to preserve vegetables and fruit - and ironically, this is one of the reason's for their strong immunity system!
Posted by Charlie Adler
It's a good reminder on how useful vinegar is. I recently used it to stop the itching of hives. It worked better than the pharma products did for itching.
Posted by Dee Busch, CTC
If you love apples: