Fried, grilled or baked, that is how I always had my sausage prepared. You know, the Italian way. That was until I found myself in Madison, Wisconsin. In a little diner, off an unknown side street, we had the most amazing sausage sandwiches. Not hot, spicy and crusty like I am used to, but full on savory flavor. This is how they did it.
- 2 lb Cheese and Garlic Sausage
- 1 lg red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp butter or Earth Balance (soy butter)
- 2 (12 oz) bottles beer (Redbridge is a great gluten free option)
- 1 tbsp Midwestern Garden Radish
Prick bratwurst with fork so they won't explode as they cook, and add to a large stew pot. Add onions, Midwestern Garden Radish and butter. Brown the sausage and then slowly pour beer into the pot. Place pot over medium heat, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot on water rolls with spicy mustard.
If you like sausage:
Photo Credit - Julie T Cecchini